FactCheckRadar Fact-check archive

Published fact-check

Kremenchuk Conscription Death Triggers Investigation

Supported

Claim checked

“Yet another tragic story from Ukraine’s mobilization drive: A 52-year-old man detained by police (July 2) for drunk driving was delivered to Kremenchug conscription office overnight. Within 24 hours he suffered fatal injuries — closed head trauma, skull fracture, and brain hemorrhages from apparent blunt force. Ukraine is investigating. This is what awaits many if the EU blocks Ukrainian men from entering next year.”

Published

Verdict

Supported

The checked claim, posted by Iuliia Mendel on July 13, 2026, reported that a 52-year-old man detained by police on July 2 for drunk driving was taken overnight to the Kremenchuk conscription office and suffered fatal closed head trauma, skull fracture, and brain hemorrhages from apparent blunt force, with Ukraine investigating. Reporting from the Ukrainian News Network (UNN) citing the State Bureau of Investigation (SBI) on the same day confirms every key factual element: the man's age, the July 2 traffic stop for suspected intoxication, his overnight transfer to the Kremenchuk District Territorial Recruitment Center on the night of July 3, the medical findings of closed craniocerebral trauma, skull base fracture, and brain hemorrhages consistent with a blunt object, and the launch of a criminal investigation. The verdict is supported.

Reasoning

On July 13, 2026, Iuliia Mendel, a former spokesperson for Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, posted on X that a 52-year-old man detained by police for drunk driving on July 2 had been delivered overnight to the Kremenchuk conscription office and, within 24 hours, suffered fatal injuries — closed head trauma, skull fracture, and brain hemorrhages from apparent blunt force — with Ukraine investigating. The post added an editorial line about European Union entry restrictions on Ukrainian men, which is opinion rather than a factual claim to verify.

The central factual elements of the tweet align closely with reporting published the same day by the Ukrainian News Network (UNN), drawing on the State Bureau of Investigation. According to UNN, on the evening of July 2, 2026, police stopped a car whose driver showed signs of alcohol intoxication. On the night of July 3, the man was taken to the Kremenchuk District Territorial Recruitment and Social Support Center, where he remained until July 4. He was later hospitalized in serious condition in the intensive care unit of a Kremenchuk hospital, underwent surgery on July 5, and died on July 9. The medical certificate listed the cause of death as closed craniocerebral trauma, fracture of the skull base bones, and hemorrhages under the membranes and into the brain substance — findings the SBI said were "preliminary" consistent with a blunt object.

Each major claim in the tweet is independently corroborated by official information. The 52-year-old age matches. The July 2 police stop for suspected drunk driving matches. The overnight delivery to the Kremenchuk conscription office matches the timeline of July 3. The medical findings — closed head trauma, skull fracture, brain hemorrhages — match the SBI's cited medical certificate. The reference to blunt force is reported by the SBI as a preliminary conclusion. And the investigation is real: the SBI opened criminal proceedings under Part 5 of Article 426-1 of Ukraine's Criminal Code, covering abuse of authority by a military official under martial law. Notably, UNN also reports that the SBI confirmed the detention of the commander of the 155th Mechanized Brigade, identified as Luchanov, in connection with the case — a detail Mendel's tweet did not mention.

There is a minor wording difference worth flagging for transparency. The tweet says the man "suffered fatal injuries" within 24 hours, which can be read as suggesting he died quickly. In fact, the injuries were sustained during the July 3–4 stay at the recruitment center, but the man did not die until July 9, after hospitalization and surgery. This is a framing nuance, not a substantive inaccuracy: the injuries themselves were inflicted within roughly 24 hours of intake, and they proved fatal. The remaining editorial flourish in the tweet — the prediction about EU border policy — is commentary, not a verifiable factual claim, and does not affect the verdict on the core story.

In sum, the core facts in the tweet are supported by direct, same-day reporting from a credible Ukrainian outlet citing the State Bureau of Investigation. The investigation is ongoing, and readers should expect further details as the SBI completes its review of surveillance footage, interrogations, and the full chronology of events.

Key checks

  • The claim that a 52-year-old man was detained by police on July 2, 2026, on suspicion of drunk driving is confirmed by the State Bureau of Investigation, as reported by UNN.

  • The claim that the man was delivered overnight to the Kremenchuk conscription office is confirmed: UNN and the SBI state he was taken to the Kremenchuk District Territorial Recruitment Center on the night of July 3.

  • The claim of fatal injuries — closed head trauma, skull fracture, and brain hemorrhages from apparent blunt force — is confirmed by the medical certificate cited by the SBI, which lists closed craniocerebral trauma, skull base fracture, and hemorrhages under the membranes and into the brain substance, preliminarily consistent with a blunt object.

  • The claim that Ukraine is investigating is confirmed: the SBI opened criminal proceedings under Part 5 of Article 426-1 of Ukraine's Criminal Code, and UNN additionally reports the detention of a brigade commander, Luchanov, in the case.

Confidence

High

Was this useful?

Your vote helps us see which fact-checks deserve more attention.

4 reviewed sources behind this verdict.

Might interest you next