FactCheckRadar Fact-check archive

Published fact-check

Hamas to Dissolve Gaza Governing Body

Mostly true

Claim checked

“BREAKING: Hamas Dissolves Gaza Government After 19 Years in Power A Hamas official told AFP the group will DISSOLVE the committee that has governed Gaza since it took control from Fatah in 2007. A nationally accepted figure will oversee operations until the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza, led by Ali Shaath, takes over. Hamas says it will not disarm until Israel fully withdraws from the 53% of Gaza it still occupies and a Palestinian administration is in place. The announcement comes as Hamas heads to Cairo for phase two ceasefire talks.”

Published

Verdict

Mostly true

A viral X post claims Hamas is dissolving its Gaza government after 19 years in power, with a technocratic committee led by Ali Shaath set to take over. The core claim is mostly true: multiple sources confirm Hamas announced it would dissolve the committee that has run Gaza since 2007, with the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza, headed by Ali Shaath, set to assume responsibilities. However, the post's figure that Israel occupies 53% of Gaza is contradicted by reporting from Asharq Al-Awsat, which states Israeli forces now control nearly 70 percent of the territory. The headline claim of dissolution is supported; the specific percentage is not.

Reasoning

The checked claim, posted by Ryan Rozbiani on X on July 6, 2026, states that Hamas will dissolve the committee that has governed Gaza since seizing control from Fatah in 2007, that a nationally accepted figure will oversee operations until the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG), led by Ali Shaath, takes over, that Hamas will not disarm until Israel withdraws from the 53% of Gaza it still occupies, and that the group is heading to Cairo for phase two ceasefire talks. Each of these elements can be tested against the available reporting.

The central claim that Hamas is dissolving its governing body in Gaza is strongly supported. Asharq Al-Awsat reported on July 6, 2026, citing a Hamas official speaking to AFP on condition of anonymity, that "The movement has decided to dissolve the Gaza government committee and to appoint a nationally accepted figure to oversee the committee's work until the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza formally assumes its responsibilities." A second Hamas official told the same outlet that other Palestinian factions had been informed of the move at a recent meeting in Cairo and had welcomed it. Ynet News, reporting on July 5, 2026, also confirmed that Hamas leadership was planning to announce the dissolution of the de facto government that has ruled Gaza for nearly 20 years. Roya News further corroborated the announcement through statements attributed to Hamas spokesperson Hazem Qassem. Together, these independent sources establish that the core announcement is real and current.

The 19-year framing of Hamas's rule is essentially accurate. Hamas took control of Gaza in 2007, so 19 years of rule up to 2026 is correct. Some outlets, including Asharq Al-Awsat and Ynet News, characterize the period as "nearly two decades" or "nearly 20 years," which is a minor stylistic difference that does not change the substance. The post's identification of Ali Shaath as the head of the NCAG is confirmed across multiple sources, as is the fact that the NCAG was established under the Trump-brokered ceasefire framework and the so-called Board of Peace, and that it has been unable to enter Gaza largely due to Israeli objections.

However, the claim's specific assertion that Israel occupies 53% of Gaza is contradicted by available reporting. Asharq Al-Awsat states that "Israeli forces have actually expanded their presence in the territory in recent months, taking control of nearly 70 percent." This is a material numerical discrepancy that a reasonable reader would consider significant, as it changes the scale of territory Israel is said to still control. The figure of 53% is not supported by the evidence provided. The claim that Hamas will not disarm until Israel fully withdraws and a Palestinian administration is in place is, however, consistent with statements from Hamas official Basem Naim reported by Roya News and with the broader context of stalled phase two negotiations.

Taken as a whole, the post's main substance is correct: Hamas has announced the dissolution of its Gaza governing body, the NCAG under Ali Shaath is poised to take over, and the announcement coincides with renewed Cairo talks on the second phase of the ceasefire. The headline-level claim of dissolution is supported. The only material inaccuracy is the 53% figure for Israeli-controlled territory, which reporting places closer to 70 percent. This is a meaningful but secondary error, and the verdict is therefore mostly true.

Key checks

  • Hamas is dissolving the committee that has governed Gaza since 2007, according to a Hamas official who spoke to AFP. This is directly supported by Asharq Al-Awsat, which quoted a Hamas official using nearly identical language to the post about dissolving the Gaza government committee and appointing a nationally accepted figure.

  • The National Committee for the Administration of Gaza, led by Ali Shaath, is set to assume civilian rule. Multiple sources, including Asharq Al-Awsat and Ynet News, confirm that Ali Shaath heads the NCAG and that it was created under the Trump-brokered ceasefire framework.

  • Hamas will not disarm until Israel withdraws and a Palestinian administration is in place. This is consistent with statements from Hamas officials reported by Asharq Al-Awsat and Roya News, which describe disarmament as contingent on a Palestinian administration and full withdrawal.

  • Israel still occupies 53% of Gaza. This figure is contradicted by Asharq Al-Awsat, which reports Israeli forces control nearly 70 percent of the territory, making the 53% claim materially inaccurate.

  • Hamas is heading to Cairo for phase two ceasefire talks. This is confirmed by Asharq Al-Awsat, which reports that Hamas and mediators are meeting in Cairo to narrow differences over the second phase of the ceasefire.

Confidence

High

Was this useful?

Your vote helps us see which fact-checks deserve more attention.

4 reviewed sources behind this verdict.

Might interest you next